All the Riverslea Santa Gertrudis stud cattle carry the Riverslea Group brand. It represents to us the cycles of nature; the cycles of farming, cropping and livestock. The directional arrow indicates the direction of our business and our commitment to continuous improvement. The brand is purposefully in an anti-clockwise direction because we take our own path and create our own destiny. The blue represents water - the life blood of farming.
“Riverslea” was the name first used by Alan’s great great grandfather when he settled farm land at Lilicur (near Avoca) in central Victoria in the second half of the nineteenth century.
The Riverslea Santa Gertrudis farming properties now include;
Riverslea at "Fishponds" Delungra – located in Northern New south Wales. It was purchased by Alan and Sonia Martin in 2012. This is the new base for the Santa Gertrudis Stud. This 4000 plus acres property is 'made for Santa cattle'.
Riverslea Adelaide Lead –is the Victorian base for the stud. The annual Victorian sale is held here around Anzac day each year.
The Santa Gertrudis Stud carries the Riverslea prefix; all the sheep are tagged Riverslea, and Alan’s wool classing brand is Riverslea.
Riverslea Bella with calf
One of our 'home grown' stud cows. A functional cow - four excellent calves on the ground and joined again as she turns 5.
Santa Gertrudis Cattle Stud
Alan’s family had been running commercial beef cattle at Adelaide Lead since 1985. The Santa Gertrudis cattle continued to out perform the other breeds year in and year out. With careful selection the female herd was developed using stud Santa Gertrudis bulls. Alan then picked the best of these females, and they became the basis of a grading up herd.
Foundation stud Santa Gertrudis females have been sourced from around Australia with a focus on selection for good temperament, quality and feed efficiency.
The first drop of Riverslea Santa Gertrudis stud cattle were on the ground in 2007.
They are sired by some truly great stud sires and exhibit an exceptional depth of breeding.
Alan's family has a long history of farming and Alan himself was born into farming. From a young age he worked on the farm alongside his father and grandfather. He left school early when his family farm was devastated by bush fires. The fires killed most of the livestock and decimated the farm infrastructure.
Alan went on to complete a farm apprenticeship, wool classing certificate (including an elite wool classing certificate), and sheep classing certificate. Alan continues to grow the farming business and is relishing the challenge of converting a commercial herd of cattle to a successful Santa Gertrudis Stud.
Alan is absolutely passionate about farming and has developed his own farms in Central Victoria & Northern New South Wales.
BNSc (Hons), Dip. App. Sc.
Sonia comes from a rural background having grown up on a beef cattle & thoroughbred farm on the outskirts of Melbourne. Sonia runs Riverslea Group in partnership with Alan (and raises their 5 young sons).
Sonia recently became a member of the Southern Beef Breeders Association inc. and was also appointed to the National Beef Committee.
Despite the family and farming commitments, Sonia remains active in the local community having held positions on the Rochester and Elmore District Health Service Board of Management and Recharge community group who ran free social days and events for the drought affected local community.
Martin Family History
Alan’s great great grandfather, Francis Stimpson Chapman (1823 – 1906), selected farm land at Lilicur (near Avoca) in central Victoria in the second half of the nineteenth century.
The farm was passed on to his daughter, Hannah, and her husband, Frank Martin (1884 – 1935), on his death in 1906.
Frank’s son, Arthur Martin (1908 – 1986), purchased additional property at Adelaide Lead in 1943 and relocated the house and family to be closer to the town facilities of Maryborough. His wife, Lalie, ran the Adelaide Lead Post Office from the house from 1943 until the mid 1950s – one of the few female post mistresses at the time.
Alan’s father, Frank Martin, worked with his father on the family farm and taught his sons the skills and knowledge of farming, and also encouraged their love of the bush and the environment.
Gold was discovered at Adelaide Lead in 1854 and at its peak there were over 5000 people living in the district. However its glory was short-lived and the area became a farming community from the mid 1860s although there are many remnants of the golden years.